Education and training requirements (from March 2021)
Other content in this section
New education and training requirements
As part of our Education Strategic Review, we have updated our education and training requirements for GOC-approved qualifications for:
- Optometry and dispensing optics
- Additional supply, supplementary prescribing, and/or independent prescribing categories
- Contact lens opticians
They replace the current Education Quality Assurance Handbooks for optometry (2015) and ophthalmic dispensing (2011), Independent Prescribing Handbook (2008), and Contact Lens Handbook (2007). The new requirements ensure that all optical professionals are equipped to deliver eye-care services in a rapidly changing landscape and meet the needs of patients in the future.
Applying for, or adapting, to the new requirements
If you are seeking to gain approval or to adapt an existing qualification, please first contact the Education Team via firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the process and for further information.
All the documents, associated forms and templates required to gain approval for or adapt an existing qualification can be found using the relevant qualification links above.
Qualifications being delivered under the new requirements
- Aston University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- Cardiff University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- Ulster University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- University of Plymouth - MOptom (Hons) Optometry - from September 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
See our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the new requirements.