Education and training requirements (from March 2021)
Other content in this section
New education and training requirements
As part of our Education Strategic Review, we have updated our education and training requirements for GOC-approved qualifications for:
- Optometry and dispensing optics
- Additional supply, supplementary prescribing, and/or independent prescribing categories
- Contact lens opticians
They replace the current Education Quality Assurance Handbooks for optometry (2015) and ophthalmic dispensing (2011), Independent Prescribing Handbook (2008), and Contact Lens Handbook (2007). The new requirements ensure that all optical professionals are equipped to deliver eye-care services in a rapidly changing landscape and meet the needs of patients in the future.
Watch our short video below for more information.
We have also produced a timeline graphic which illustrates the journey to the introduction and implementation of the new ETR, including key milestones such as the Education Strategic Review (ESR) and various consultations on our proposals.
Applying for, or adapting, to the new requirements
If you are seeking to gain approval or to adapt an existing qualification, please first contact the Education Team via firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the process and for further information.
All the documents, associated forms and templates required to gain approval for or adapt an existing qualification can be found using the relevant qualification links above.
Once we are satisfied that an existing qualification is able to meet the updated education and training requirements, we will ‘note’ it. This means that we have reviewed the detailed plans of how the provider’s adapted qualification will meet the new requirements and have noted these changes. We don’t use the terminology ‘approve’ in this process as the qualification already holds GOC approval.
Qualifications being delivered under the new requirements
- Anglia Ruskin University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- Aston University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- Cardiff University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- City, University of London - Master of Optometry (Hons)(MOptom) - from September 2023
- Ulster University - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- University of Central Lancashire - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - From September 2023
- University of Hertfordshire - Master of Optometry (MOptom) - from September 2023
- University of Plymouth - MOptom (Hons) Optometry - from September 2023
- Anglia Ruskin University - BSc Dispensing Optician (Registerable Award) - from September 2023
- Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) Examinations - Level 6 Diploma in Ophthalmic Dispensing - from September 2023
- University of Central Lancashire - BSc (Hons) Ophthalmic Dispensing - from September 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
See our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about the new requirements.