Restore as a student
Other content in this section
If you have been previously registered with us and for any reason have left the register and you are still continuing your optical training, you must restore to continue to train.
If you continue to train as a dispensing optician or optometrist without being registered your examinations may not be counted towards your qualification and you may not be allowed to progress to the fully qualified register.
If you have previously been registered as a student dispensing optician and now wish to train as a student optometrist (or vice versa) you will need to submit a full student registration application.
If you are already registered but are transferring to a different student register you need to complete our student transfer application. Our student restoration application guidance answers most commonly asked questions.
Once you have been restored you will be informed of your GOC number starting with SO- or SD-. As of 1 April 2021, we have introduced a lifetime number for new and restoring students, fully qualified registrants and optical businesses applying for registration on the GOC register.
How to apply
Before you begin your application read the important information, provided below, in full. It will save you time and help you complete your application
- You must be enrolled with an educational establishment to continue your optical training.
- Complete the application form to restore to the student register, including a completed student identification form and correctly certified identification. See our student identification form example for guidance.
- Pay the appropriate restoration fee
- Please read the restoration application guidance which answers most commonly asked questions.
Information you will need to complete your application to be restored to the student register
To complete this application form you will need:
- Contact information, including your home address and/or any practice address(es)
- Details of the educational establishment where you are continuing to complete your education and training
- Information about why you were removed from the register and details about any unregistered activities you may have completed during your period of non-registration
- Details of any declarations you may need to make about your fitness to train. Find out more about when and how to make a declaration
- A completed student identification form and correctly certified identification.
What you get on successful application
- You will receive an email confirming your restoration with the General Optical Council including your new GOC number.
- You can access your MyGOC account. This area of the website will allow you to update your details, download a receipt, update your supervisor details and complete annual retention.
- The registration year runs from 1 September to 31 August. Your annual renewal fee will be due by 15 July each year.