Policy development and research
Our approach to the Education Strategic Review is guided by evidence-based policy making and learning from other regulatory approaches. You can find out more by reading the documents below.
- June 2021: Therapeutic prescribing literature review report
- December 2020: GOC Regulated Qualification Framework Project
- October 2020: Financial impact assessment
- October 2020: Equality, Diversity and Inclusion impact assessment
- June 2018: Perceptions of UK optical education - research into the views and perceptions of newly qualified optical practitioners and optical employers across the UK.
- November 2017: Educational patterns and trends - research commissioned into educational patterns and trends in optical and other health professional education and regulation.
- September 2017: Professional boundaries in the optical sector - discussion paper exploring the changing roles of optical professionals in the UK.
Background briefings and statements
- April 2018: Concepts and principles consultation findings - High level findings statement from the ESR concepts and principles consultation. The consultation ran from December 2017 to March 2018.
- February 2018: System leaders roundtable event - Summary of roundtable event with sectoral and health service system leaders, about the potential future direction of eye health and vision services in the UK.
Consultation and engagement
- January 2022: ESR consultation report on education and training requirements for contact lens opticians
- February 2021: ESR Consultation Response Report - Education and Training Requirements
- October 2020: ESR consultation report on education and training requirements for GOC approved qualifications
- September 2019: ESR consultation response report - response to the ESR consultation on draft Education Standards for providers and Learning Outcomes for students
- May 2019: ESR consultation analysis- Education Standards for providers and Outcomes for students
- May 2019: ESR Education Standards and Outcomes consultation infographic
- April 2018: ESR concept and principles consultation analysis - analysis of responses to the ESR concepts and principles consultation
- April 2018: ESR concept and principles consultation annex of responses
- March 2018: ESR concepts and principles consultation factsheet
- December 2017: ESR concepts and principles consultation - an exploratory consultation which sets out a series of concepts and principles we are exploring as part of the ESR.
- June 2017: Summary of responses to call for evidence - independent summary of responses to our initial ESR call for evidence.
- June 2017: Call for evidence annex of responses