Standards for optical businesses
2.2 You ensure compliance with relevant regulations
Why is this Standard necessary?
As part of its responsibilities to the GOC, your business has a duty to ensure it is compliant with all regulations affecting the running of the business. Failure to comply puts at stake the reputation of the business and its ability to continue operating.
The personal and professional conduct of directors also has the potential to affect the ability of the business to continue operating (for example, if a criminal offence is committed). The information listed below is not exhaustive and other statutory or regulatory duties may apply depending on the structure of your business or the environment in which it operates.
To achieve this, your business:
- Advertises only in ways that are not misleading, confusing or unlawful;
- Acts on any instruction from a statutory authority requiring measures to be implemented to safeguard the welfare of patients and staff;
- Ensures that all data is obtained, processed, stored and destroyed in a manner compliant with the law;
- Takes reasonable steps to ensure that those individuals or organisations to which you refer patients are able to provide appropriate care;
- Promotes equality, values diversity and is inclusive in all dealings with staff, patients and others and does not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief;
- Provides staff with clear information in relation to all legislation relevant to their roles.