Register as a student
By law, students on a GOC-approved training course in optometry or dispensing optics must be registered with us. Students work with patients and the public throughout their course of study and any patient a student treats needs to be protected in case there is a problem.
The registration year runs from 1 September to 31 August and the annual renewal fee will be due by 15 July each year.
Student registrants can also apply to transfer registers, moving from the register of student dispensing opticians to the register of student optometrists or vice versa.
How to apply
- Before you begin your application read the important information, provided below, in full. It will save you time and help you complete your application
- Complete the application form to join the student register, including a completed student identification form and correctly certified identification.
- Pay the appropriate application fee
Information you will need to join the student register
To complete this application form you will need:
- Contact information, including your home address and/or practice address(es)
- Details of the educational institute where you are completing your education/training and details of the qualification you will achieve.
- Details of any declarations you may need to make about your fitness to train. Find out more about when and how to make a declaration.
- A completed student identification form and correctly certified identification.
Please do not begin this application without having this information available as you will not be able to complete it. You are not able to save progress on this form.
How long it will take us to process your application
Once we have received your correctly completed form we will confirm your enrolment with your new educational establishment.
Applications received between 1 August - 31 October will be processed by the end of October.
Your educational establishment is aware of this timeframe. At any other time of year your application will be processed within ten working days of receipt of your application, certified ID, and application fee.
If there are any mistakes in your application we may cancel it and request that you re-submit correctly.
Once an application is confirmed
- You will receive an email confirming your registration with the General Optical Council including your GOC number
- You can access your MyGOC account. This area of the website will allow you to update your details, download a receipt and complete annual retention.
- You will receive the GOC newsletters and e-bulletin, it is important to keep an up to date email address with us as we send the majority of our important notifications by email.
What happens if you don't register
- You will be breaking the law
- You will not be able to sit your examinations
- Any examinations or study undertaken whilst unregistered may not count towards your qualification
Applying to the fully qualified register?
If you wish to apply to join the fully qualified register please visit 'register as a fully qualified individual'.