Delivering safe eye care during easement of COVID-19 restrictions
As further lockdown restrictions lift across many parts of the UK today, maintaining high standards of infection control is vital, in order to protect practice teams and provide safe eyecare.
We are fully in support of the joint statement issued today by the Association of British Dispensing Opticians (ABDO) and The College of Optometrists, who have advised that optical practices in all four nations should continue to follow the College’s amber guidance, national eye care standard operating procedures and our supporting statements.
In addition, practices should continue to:
• Maintain social distancing where possible.
• Ensure all staff wear a face mask (FRFM) and follow the correct use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Recommend the public continue to wear a face covering when on practice premises.
• Continue scrupulous hand washing.
• Ensure surface disinfection and frame sanitising after every patient episode.
• Encourage all staff to use lateral flow tests and report the results regularly.
• Maintain patient triage and prioritisation.
• Maintain good ventilation throughout the practice.
Read the full statement on the ABDO and College of Optometrists websites.