Help for patients

If you want an apology, explanation or have questions about your eyecare treatment, you should first contact the optician who provided that care.

The following organisations may be able to give you useful advice and support about your complaint.

Optical Consumer Complaints Service (OCCS)

For help with consumer issues, such as getting a refund for faulty glasses, contact the OCCS

Advertising Standards Authority

You can complain about false or misleading advertising to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)

Citizens Advice

If you are not sure who to complain to, or if you need legal advice.

Information Commissioner’s Office

If you need advice on accessing your personal medical records contact the

NHS Complaints Advocacy

The NHS Complaints Advocacy service can help provide information and support if you wish to raise a complaint about NHS services

Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA)

If you have been harmed as a result of medical treatment or feel you have not been treated correctly, Action Against Medical Accidents (AvMA) can provide support and advice and possibly help you to get compensation.

Victim Support

If you’ve been a victim of any crime or have been affected by a crime committed against someone you know, Victim Support can provide free support.


Board of Community Health Councils in Wales

If you receive NHS services in Wales, the Board of Community Health Councils can give you free, private help if you have a problem or complaint.


If you receive NHS services in Scotland, your local health board can give you free, private help if you have a problem or complaint.

Northern Ireland

Patient and Client Council

If you receive health and social care services in Northern Ireland, the Patient and Client Council can help if you want to make a complaint.