- Standards and guidance
- Standards of practice for optometrists and dispensing opticians
- 18. Respond to complaints effectively
Standards for optometrists and dispensing opticians
18. Respond to complaints effectively
- Operate a complaints system or follow the system that your employer has in place, making patients aware of their opportunities to complain to yourself or your employer. At the appropriate stage in the process, the patient should also be informed of their rights to complain to the General Optical Council or to seek mediation through the Optical Consumer Complaints Service.
- Respect a patient’s right to complain and ensure that the making of a complaint does not prejudice patient care.
- Respond honestly, openly, politely and constructively to anyone who complains and apologise where appropriate.
- Provide any information that a complainant might need to progress a complaint, including your General Optical Council registration details and details of any registered specialty areas of practice.