- Standards and guidance
- Standards of practice for optometrists and dispensing opticians
- 16. Be honest and trustworthy
Standards for optometrists and dispensing opticians
16. Be honest and trustworthy
- Act with honesty and integrity to maintain public trust and confidence in your profession.
- Avoid or manage any conflicts of interest which might affect your professional judgement. If appropriate, declare an interest, withdraw yourself from the conflict and decline gifts and hospitality.
- Ensure that incentives, targets and similar factors do not affect your professional judgement. Do not allow personal or commercial interests and gains to compromise patient safety.
- Ensure that you do not make false or misleading statements when describing your individual knowledge, experience, expertise and specialties, including by the use of titles.
- Be honest in your financial and commercial dealings and give patients clear information about the costs of your professional services and products before they commit to buying.
- Do not make misleading, confusing or unlawful statements within your advertising.