- Standards and guidance
- Standards of practice for optometrists and dispensing opticians
- 6. Recognise, and work within, your limits of competence
Standards for optometrists and dispensing opticians
6. Recognise, and work within, your limits of competence
- Recognise and work within the limits of your scope of practice, taking into account your knowledge, skills and experience.
- Be able to identify when you need to refer a patient in the interests of the patient’s health and safety, and make appropriate referrals.
- Ensure that you have the required qualifications relevant to your practise.
- Understand and comply with the requirements of registration with the General Optical Council and the legal obligations of undertaking any functions restricted by law, i.e. sight testing and the sale and supply of optical devices.