- Standards and guidance
- Standards of practice for optometrists and dispensing opticians
- 5. Keep your knowledge and skills up to date
Standards for optometrists and dispensing opticians
5. Keep your knowledge and skills up to date
- Be competent in all aspects of your work, including clinical practice, supervision, teaching, research and management roles, and do not perform any roles in which you are not competent.
- Comply with the Continuing Education and Training (CET) requirements of the General Optical Council as part of a commitment to maintaining and developing your knowledge and skills throughout your career as an optical professional.
- Be aware of current good practice, taking into account relevant developments in clinical research, and apply this to the care you provide.
- Reflect on your practice and seek to improve the quality of your work through activities such as reviews, audits, appraisals or risk assessments. Implement any actions arising from these.