To gain a qualification in optometry, dispensing optics, contact lenses or independent prescribing, students and trainees on GOC-approved programmes must demonstrate that they are proficient in the core competencies.
There are core competencies in four areas of practise:
- Dispensing optics;
- Contact lenses (for dispensing opticians); and
- Independent prescribing (for optometrists).
Our education handbooks contain more information on the core competencies for each area of practise.
- Optometry Handbook 2015
- Optometry Core Competencies Stages 1 & 2 Combined
- CET competencies for optometrists
- Dispensing Handbook 2011
- Dispensing Competencies 2011
- CET competencies for dispensing opticians
- Contact Lens Handbook 2007
- Contact Lens Specialty Competencies 2011
- CET competencies for contact lens opticians
- Independent Prescribing Handbook 2008
- Independent prescribing competencies 2011
- CET competencies for independent prescribers