Register a specialty
There are additional registers for practitioners with specialist qualifications called specialty registers.
There are currently four registerable specialties:
- Additional supply specialty
- Independent prescribing specialty
- Supplementary prescribing specialty
For dispensing opticians
- Contact lens specialty
How to register your specialty
Complete and submit the application form, and pay the registration fee to register your specialty.
Once we have received your form we will send you an invoice from PayPal to the email address we have on file for you to pay the registration fee. You don't need a PayPal account. Using this service helps us complete your registration faster.
We will process your application within five working days of receipt of your application form, payment and confirmation from your education provider of your eligibility to register. If you do not pay your registration fee within seven days of receipt of the invoice we will cancel your application. If there are any mistakes in your application we may cancel it and request that you re-submit correctly.
What happens once my specialty has been registered?
- We will confirm by email, that your specialty has been registered.
- Your specialty will appear on the register against your name.
- You will be able to practise that specialty.
Do I have to complete annual renewal for my specialty?
- Contact lens, supplementary prescribing and additional supply specialties will be automatically renewed as a part of the annual retention process. CET requirements must be met at the end of each cycle for the specialties.
- Independent prescribing specialties must be renewed separately in accordance with the retention deadline. There is no additional fee for this and you will be notified of your requirement to renew your specialty by email in January each year.
What are my new CPD requirements?
Once you are registered, your online portfolio on MyGOC will be updated to show that you are required to collect additional CPD points in the specialty area you are qualified in.
Visit MyCPD for further information on your CPD requirements.