Register as a fully qualified individual
If you have completed the relevant education and training in the UK and wish to be an optometrist or dispensing optician, you must complete an application to be registered with us.
It is illegal to practise if you are not registered.
How to apply
- Before you begin your application read the important information, provided below, in full. It will save you time and help you complete your application
- Complete the application form to join the register as a fully qualified individual, including correctly certified identification form. See our fully qualified identification form example for guidance.
- Pay the appropriate application fee
Information you will need to complete an application to join the fully qualified register
To complete this application form you will need:
- Contact information, including your home address and/or practice address(es)
- Details of the educational institute where you completed your qualifications and details of the qualifications you achieved
- Details of any declarations you may need to make about your fitness to practise. Find out more about when and how to make a declaration
- If you are applying for a low income fee - details of your gross annual personal income from all sources
- A completed registration identification form and correctly certified identification.
Please do not begin this application without having this information available as you will not be able to complete it. You are not able to save progress on this form.
How long it will take to process your application
We will process your application within ten working days of receipt of the application, certified ID, application fee and the pass list from the awarding body.
You can start the application process in advance of receiving your results. We will then log your application and take the payment. The final registration will not be processed until we receive the pass list from the awarding body. In the event of you not passing your exams, any fees that have been collected will be refunded to you.
Please note that due to high demand between August and October, processing times may be extended.
Once an application is confirmed
You will receive an email confirming your registration and your GOC number. You will then be able to access your MyGOC account, where you can update your details, download a receipt and renew your annual registration.
What happens if you don’t register?
- You will be breaking the law and may be prosecuted if you refer to yourself as a dispensing optician or optometrist and/or carry out any restricted activities
- You may not be covered by any professional indemnity insurance.
Applying from outside of the UK?
If you are applying from outside the UK then please visit our register from overseas section.
Applying to join the student register?
If you are a student and wish to join either the register of student optometrists or register of student dispensing opticians then please visit our register as a student section.